January, 27 to January 28, 2017
In 2016, the OIB published Abdulrahman al-Salimi’s edition of three Ibāḍī siyar from fourth and fifth-century Oman (eleventh and twelfth centuries CE) in its series Bibliotheca Islamica (vol. 51). This workshop wants to explore how these texts connect to what is known from the early period of the Ibāḍiyya school. Contributions also attempt to situate the Ibāḍī case in the wider context of theological and legal thinking and its articulation in different kinds of writing during the early period (2nd/ 8th century). A round-table discussion will conclude the event.
Convenors: Astrid Meier (OIB), Stefan Leder (OIB)
· Josef van Ess is Emeritus Professor of Islamic Studies and Semitic Languages, University of Tübingen.
· Benjamin Jokisch is Researcher at the Institute for Iranian Studies at the Freie Universität Berlin.
· Yohei KONDO is Research Associate at the Japan Center for Middle Eastern Studies in Beirut.
· Stefan Leder is Director of the Orient-Institut Beirut.
· Astrid Meier is Deputy Director of the Orient-Institut Beirut and responsible for the Bibliotheca Islamica series.
· Hans-Peter Pökel is Research Associate at the Orient-Institut Beirut.
· Abdulrahman al-Salimi is the Editor-in-Chief of al-Tasāmuḥ/Tafāhum Journal, published by the Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs of Oman.
· Ridwan al-Sayyid is Emeritus Professor of Islamic Studies at the Lebanese University.
If you have any questions regarding the workshop and would like to attend, please contact Astrid Meier (firstname.lastname@example.org).
09:30 – 10:00
Arrival and coffee
10:00 – 11:45
Panel I: Texts and History
Astrid Meier (Beirut)
Abdulrahman al-Salimi (Bidiya)
The Influence of Ibāḍī siyar on the Orientalists’ Understanding of the Formation of Islam
Josef van Ess (Tübingen)
Ḍirār b. ʿAmr’s Kitāb al-Taḥrīsh (Second Century H.) and its Importance for the History of Early Iraqi Ibāḍism
11:45 – 12:15
12:15 – 13:00
Ridwan al-Sayyid (Beirut)
Some Remarks on Theological and Juridical Problems Regarding the Early Ibāḍiyya According to the Kitāb al-Taḥrīsh
13:00 – 14:30
14:30 – 16:00
Panel II: Law in Context
Yohei Kondo (Beirut)
Benjamin Jokisch (Hamburg/Berlin)
16:00 – 16:15
16:15 – 17:00
The Ibāḍiyya in the Context of Early Islamic Theology and Law Input: Hans-Peter Pökel (Beirut)